Emotional Support Animal FAQ’s

New Leaf Wellness Center in Culver City

  • How do I qualify for an Emotional Support Animal letter?
  You must have one or more of the following medical conditions to qualify: Anxiety, Bi-Polar, Depression, Insomnia, Panic Attacks, Personality Disorder, Phobias, PTSD, and/or Stress.

  • Can I have more than 1 animal as an ESA?
  Yes. You must have multiple medical conditions and each animal has to be supporting one or more of those needs. (For example, your cat helps alleviate your insomnia, while your dog helps alleviate your anxiety and stress.) We can allow multiple animals to be on the same ESA letter, however, some housing units and airlines may require you to provide a separate letter for each animal.

  • Do I need an ID card for my ESA?
  We offer ID cards to help identify your animal as an ESA, but it is voluntary and not necessary. All you need is the ESA letter. If you choose to purchase an ID card, it is $25. You will need to provide us with a photo of your animal or you must bring your animal into our office to have their picture taken.

  • I qualified for an ESA letter. How long is it valid for?
  There is no expiration date on your ESA letter, although most airlines will require your letter to be less than a year old. If you are in need of a new and updated letter, you must come into our office and visit with the doctor. This cannot be done online or over the phone. We offer discounted rates for return patients.

  • How do I know that this is legal?
  Illegal operations are contracted for a specific fee to provide you with an ESA letter. At New Leaf Wellness Center, our doctor must determine whether you qualify for an ESA letter based on a medical history and evaluation. If our physician feels your medical condition is not valid, you will not qualify and you will not receive a letter. There are also some websites that will “certify” your animal as an ESA. They will send you a certificate in the mail stating your animal is an “ESA”, but that is all it is… just a certificate. These do not include a physician’s signature which is required by state and federal law.

  • What laws protect my right as an ESA patient?
  You are protected under the Fair Housing Act, the Air Carrier Access Access Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

  • I would like to get an Emotional Support Animal Evaluation. What next?
  You can come in during our normal business hours. We take walk-ins up until 20 minutes before closing. You can also book an appointment online. Please bring in any medical records you may have on you, so we can make copies for the physician. Medical records are not required for your visit, but can help with the process.